The "Skelton" was built in 1812, at Whitby in Yorkshire. The
owners listed as James Son's & Jun. and Will Dixon. Owners listed in 1825,
Will Dixon of Skelton 16, James Dixon 32, and Mich. Trowsdale of Northallerton.
The "Skelton" was described as a 350 ton, (another ref. states 260
tons), single deck, three mast barque, (a sailing ship with the rear mast
fore-and-aft-rigged and the remaining masts square-rigged). It was 15 feet
draught, (see note on ships demise), coppered and
copper fastened, (meaning it's hull was covered with copper sheeting).
The "Skelton" arrived in Hobart from Edinburgh, Scotland, on 27th November
1820. Also arrived in Hobart on
24th December 1822, and on 8th June 1823.
On July 30th 1828, the "Skelton", Capt. Percy of Wy., traveling from Trinidad to London, struck on a rock 13ft under water, near Anguilla Island bearing East, distant 10 miles, and foundered. Crew saved.
is a painting of the "Skelton" - possibly by Capt. Dixon &
possibly at Trinidad. It had belonged to the Roadknight family who were
passengers on it's 1820 trip to Tasmania.